After the announcement of an extention of lockdown the President, and in line with the recommendations of the HPCSA and other professional bodies, I am writing to inform you that it is necessary to postpone all non-urgent orthodontic appointments, due to Pandemic spread of the COVID-19 virus, until the 4th May 2020. Closer to that time we will need to re-evaluate the situation further.
The dental profession is regulated when it comes to cross-infection and we take this aspect very seriously in the best interests of all patients, as well as staff. Due to the infectiousness of the virus and the absolute need to slow down the spread, it is imperative to limit the possible exposure to everyone.
Moreover, delaying orthodontic visits for few weeks is unlikely to cause any significant harm, as long as you are brushing your teeth regularly and following the instructions which are summarised below.
These instructions are for those under treatment using fixed braces, removable braces, aligners, or retainers:
1. Excellent oral hygiene is essential.
2. Avoid consuming sweetened beverages or foods.
3. Minimise consuming hard or sticky foods.
4. Follow the instructons provided at your last visit, such as the wear of elastics, brushing your teeth, using aligners, etc.
5. For those who have finished their treatment and are wearing retainers, follow the instructions provided in your last visit regarding the wear times of your retainers.
1. Thankfully true emergencies are rare in an orthodontic office. Loose brackets while a nuisance, are not an emergency.
2. If you have an emergency that requires my intervention, then you can contact us on 082 296 6655 between 10am and 12am only. For pmb contact Dr Kasimjee on 0333 87 5113
3. In the meantime, my advice is to avoid or minimise emergency visits until the virus spread slows down. It is thus imperative to try adhering to the above instructions now more than ever before.
These are unusual times which are difficult for all of us and we need to work together for the benefit of all. We apologize for the inconvenience, but it is not of our making and we will endeavour as always to provide you with the best service that we can.